We grilled. We entered. We lost. And then we nursed our cheese comas.
A few months ago, my mom and I entered a grilled cheese contest. Spoiler alert: we didn’t win. Buuutttt, we found ourselves with a completely valid excuse to spend an entire afternoon sampling different variations of grilled cheese sandwiches. So we definitely didn’t lose. By the end of the day, we’d decided on two sandwiches we liked best, one of which was The Strawbrie. If I may be so bold … it’s awesome.
And easy. Amen.
Here’s how to make it.
Note: you can play around with the amounts … just do whatever feels right. Including taking a nap after you eat it.
- Country French bread, 4 slices
- Lightly salted butter
- Brie, I really like the double cream brie from Trader Joe’s
- Fresh basil
- Strawberries, sliced
- Candied pecans
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place bread, butter side down, in a skillet and grill over medium-low to medium heat until buttered side of bread is golden brown.
- Butter other side of each slice of bread and flip over in skillet.
- Cover each slice of bread in skillet with brie.
- Top two slices of bread with basil, strawberries prosciutto and candied pecans and cover with other two slices of bread, brie side down.
- Grill sandwiches in skillet on both sides over medium-low to medium heat until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.
- Instagram that.
- Hashtag that.
- Eat that.